Thursday, January 5, 2012

RA Life... How do I be Healthy??

Hi! Katelyn here.

John, welcome to the BBB blog! :) I felt weird putting "Dad" in a blog post, but putting "John" is weirder so... oh well. But it's good to have you here!

Just came from Christmas break in Orlando back to good ol' Gainesville, FL. It's always weird to see how somewhere just two hours away is so different! I live in the burbs so it's all palm trees and ponds-with-fountains-in-them. Gainesville is kind of... the dividing line for where a little country-style gets mixed in. With an enormous university in it.  It's fun here!

This is what it's like here. 


I miss my family and my friends already! Missing Miss bride-to-be Stephie. :) She reminded me to keep posting so HERE I GO--


I go to UF (go gata!!) in case you wanna know, and  am a Resident Assistant here in the dorms on campus.





And that matters. Why? Ehh-- it isn't really included in my job description per se, but I believe it pretty much should be: baking for your residents. Or at least, I should because all my residents live right by the kitchen. And because they always remember!! It goes like this--

Random person: Hey, do you know  name of RA?

Past resident: OMG YES she was my RA and was the BEST because she made us cookies!!!

Random person: Yeah she is pretty darn cool.

Past resident: Yeah


This has legit happened to me.
Last year, I baked almost weekly for them. I am amazed at the mysterious powers of butter and sugar to win over peoples' affections.

NOT HEALTHY


So that right thar is what I baked today. I haven't gone to the grocery store so a box of brownie is what's up. I'm not perfect so everything can't always be homemade. Whatever.

But guess what!?
...
Brownies are not healthy!



In fact, they pretty much epitomize the picture of unhealthiness.

(Not to mention they are a personal weakness of mine. I've gotten better (I hope) but once I ate essentially the ENTIRE box.)


What's a girl to do?? I do not have an answer to this question. Is self-control just it? I was lucky enough to have it this time. This was my BBB victory of today! NOT ONLY did I not have a single brownie, but I didn't even lick the batter. True story.

But I'm kind of thinking that if I bake weekly, I'm not always going to be so strong!

ALSO I must say that RA life involves a good bit of catering, and healthy food is super-duper expensive when you have to feed a buttload of people. Or really, any more than like, two people. We already had Panda Express and tomorrow we get pizza.

...What to do....

I guess I could like, refuse to eat that smut and go order some organic salad somewhere. But chances are, I won't do that cuz I want to bond with everyone and not be a jerk. I'm thankful for the BBB community (lol) because it helps give me strength to treat my body with respect! But I know it's essentially impossible to put yourself around a bunch of delicious, ooey-gooey, sugary, ambrosia-like treats (hahaha.. because that's what my baking is! ;) ) 24/7 and not eat them. You are more likely to eat what you put yourself around. Simple truth.
So, this is my plight! I'm still kind of figuring out what to do. (If you have ideas, lemme know!) So, I'll probably post all my ideas or something later. Maybe also my 2012 goals or something.


Bye for tonight!

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm listed as your first follower!!!!! I feel superdeduper special!!! I love your ladies hearts and guy if John was part of the idea.

    I'm needing a dose of BBB in my life too. I'm on day 3 of working out and also have been repenting for not viewing my body the way God does.

    Love you BBB Team!!!!

    ReplyDelete